Thursday 14 June 2012

In the Best Possible Taste Tapestries









I have been enjoying Grayson Perry's programme, 'In the Best Possible Taste.' He creates tapestries based on his research on today's social classes, ending in a exhibition. The photograph of him on his bike is not from the programme, but I think it is the greatest picture of him

As he reflected upon the classes, I could recognise things in myself, such as the middle class Cath Kidston bag. However I see myself as working class, and I would not want to aspire to move out of this group. He created two tapestries to represent each class, therefore six in total. The tapestries were created by firsty drawn by hand, then scanned into Photoshop then weaved from a computerised machine.

The six tapestries

Working Class
1. The Adoration of the Cage Fighters
2. The Agony in the Car Park

Middle Class
3. The Expulsion from Number Eight Eden Close
4. The Annunciation of the Virgin Deal

Upper Class
5. The Upper Class at Bay
6. Lamentation

Pictures are in order above, I could not find a picture of Lamentation though. Also I have been wanting for a long time, the purple Grayson Perry scarf in the Tate Modern shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment